The Eclipse launcher gives me an error message


I'm trying to set up my machine to do some Android development, but I'm running into a couple of issues when installing everything I need. Here's some info about my set up:

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit
I have the Java JDK 1.6.0_22 version installed
I downloaded Eclipse Galileo 3.5 R2 for Java Developers

My first issue is that because the Android SDK doesn't work with Eclipse 3.6 yet I had to download 3.5 instead. I can see a 64 bit Java Developers version on the main download page, but I can only see the 32 bit for Galileo:

However the classic edition does have a Windows 64 bit option. The Android SDK documentation recommends using the Java Development edition, so I decided to give the 32 bit Java version a try. Unfortunately the Eclipse launcher gives me an error about the JVM terminated with exit code -1.

I tried searching for solutions, but didn't come up with anything useful. Should I go ahead and use the classic version of Eclipse or try to get the 32 bit version to work? Is there a 64 bit version of Galileo for Java Developers available somewhere? I think my computer set up is fairly common so I feel like I'm running into these issues because I misunderstood the set up process.

Absolutely, match bit sizes. While it shouldn't matter given that the IDE will be in a separate process from the emulator (and it simply doesn't apply if you're debugging on a device), do it anyway, just for paranoia's sake. And here's a 64-bit classic download link, just 'cause I'm helpful like that.

And speaking of helpful, the next issue you'll run into is with "protocol bind unable to connect to socket: NNNN". The issue is that Windows Vista & Windows 7 specify "localhost" as an IPv6 address, :::1 I believe (nope! ::1) , but Android doesn't speak IPv6 so well just yet, so the debugger can't connect to the emulator or an Actual Device.

Easy fix on the google end of things: Just connect to when trying to establish a debug session. C'mon folks!

Until someone patches adb or improves Android's IPv6 handling you'll need to edit your C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. It should contain a line something like ::1 localhost. Just replace ::1 with And you'll need to give admin permissions in order to save changes (or maybe saveAs, delete the original, and rename... I ran into something goofy like that recently and suspect this was it).

And if you have an HTC device, you need to download their HTC Sync app in order to get the correct USB drivers to do an dev work on it.