One of our developers added new functionality to the trunk rather than creating a branch. We're currently at revision 3966 as the HEAD. Work on that feature started at 3875 exclusively. Using TortoiseSVN, what's the best way to accomplish the following?
- Rollback trunk to 3875.
- Create branch from revisions 3876-3966
- When finished with development of that feature, reintegrate back into the trunk
Can this best be accomplished by doing the following via TortoiseSVN?
- Do an Update to Revision on the trunk's working copy and go back to 3875, commit those changes.
- Inside of the Repo Browser, right click on the 3966 revision and create a branch
...or is there some other way?
Our process typically works like this:
- Trunk is only for minor/single bug fixes and integrated branches
- Branches are for features and/or sprints consisting of bug fixes that will have to be reviewed prior to integration into the trunk
- Once branch is complete and QA'ed/reviewed, it's integrated into the trunk.
- Once sprint of bug fixes is QA'ed/reviewed, it's integrated into the trunk.
You need to do a reverse merge. http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04s04.html#svn-ch-4-sect-4.2
I would just create a branch from trunk now, reverse merge trunk, and then merge the new branch into trunk.