I am accessing the Amazon RDS (MySQL) from Putty. MySQL Workbench works through SSH commandline only, but I would like to access the cloud MySQL host database directly from MySQL Workbench.
In the MySQL forums is a posting that links to various sources for connecting MySQL Workbench to online resources: http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?152,252640,252640#msg-252640. The essential steps for Amazon RDS are on this page: https://thoughtsandideas.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/monitoring-and-managing-amazon-rds-databases-using-mysql-workbench/
Step 3) Fill in the values as described below which illustrated in Figure 4.
- Connection Name – Provide a name to identify your connection Connection Method – Select Standard TCP/IP over SSH from the drop down list instead of Standard(TCP/IP). Then on the appearing two tabbed pane, fill the following values found under Parameters tab.
- SSH Hostname – Provide the Public DNS of the Amazon EC2 instace (refer Figure 3) which will be used as the intermediate server instance used to create the connection with the DB instance.
- SSH Username – Provide the user of the Amazon EC2 instance (refer Figure 3) which will be used as the intermediate server instance used to create the connection with the DB instance.
- SSH Key File – Provide the Private Key (xxx.pem) used to connect Amazon EC2 instace via SSH
- MySQL Hostname – Provide the Endpoint of the DB instance created in Amazon RDS(refer Figure 5).
Username – Provide the Master Username of the DB instance created in Amazon RDS(refer Figure 5).
Password – Click on Store in Keychain.. button and type the password provided while creating the DB instance in Amazon RDS.